poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: poboyjo's ride

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks guys. Roy I noticed some of you guys doing the stitch welds & I'll do that too, anywhere ya'll point out , as I get there. I want it strong. The part I was dreading was sanding the bottom of the car . It looked so rusty I thought it would be a pain but put a DA on it & your down to primer or paint , except for some speckles. a lucky break just where I needed it! sooner or later I'll be able to bang on the car & not have a pile of dirt hit the floor.
I removed the old seat braces & I was thinking of making some stronger ones to help tie in the new frame to the rocker & maybe a driveshaft loop in the middle of them. wouldnt that be a good place for a loop?
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

comethead

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by comethead »

Damn good Johnny...damn good!Image

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

nice progress man, don't sell yourself short - it's a ton 'o' work cleaning these old beasts up. Have fun with it, take your time and keep them updates coming :mrgreen:
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

John;I really like the way you are doing your subframe ties!!! You are going to stitch the floors to the new frame members? I don't remember your plans for the Comet down the road,I would add new seat to floor braces as you stated and tie them into the rockers,floors and new frame rails. NHRA requires the driveshaft hoop to be within 6 inches of the trans yoke and the brake and fuel lines need to be out of the tunnel!Make sure before you do your final welds that the doors are on and lined up and the car is sitting on either it's wheels or the suspension in all four positions!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

the seat braces are about 8 1/2'' from the yoke. so close :roll: Thanks for the info.I'm not planning to race but want to build it as if I might change my mind- you never know. so I'll stretch something to get 6'' from yoke to loop. Roy I cant remember the initial plans either! I keep changing my mind & diggin deeper. seems like I just got out of the trunk, now I'm workin my way back in there. Still planning on the fatman strut frontend , I have the instructions for it but have decided to do the rear first. The car is on ramps but needs to be more level. springs are worn out. I need to find some jackstands that screw up to help level it. Thanks for the inputs, keep em comin guys!
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HEY you,am sending you our nightly PM in a few min's pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Wow! You are going at it! Cool beans, looks great. Since you have extra set of rear rails you are building off of. Are your original rear rails still in place???

The reason I ask is. I only had my original rails and just modified them and moved them in. Now I will have to fab up new rear bumper brackets because my rails are 5 inches in. But if your rear rails are still on car. You could leave the very rear part of rail ( part where bumper brackets bolt to) on car and tie it to the new rails you are putting on. Could save you some work making new bumper brackets. And save you modifying rear panel where holes are for brackets to go thru.

Looking good

Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;I agree with Lou on the old rear subframes! I did that when building my 65,though I used Alston frame rails,I tied the stubs into the new frame rails and kept the floor section where they are attached. ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yes they are still on. & Lou thanks to studying your pics I had already planned to leave the back part of rails on for the bumper & to keep the trunk floor strong. when you moved one rail I thought, how is the rotissery holding up that car now with just one rail? then I saw the cherry picker helping. thats when I new I would leave that part of rail on !
so here I am back in the trunk again. I cut the tank pocket out.
I got a little sloppy taking out the crossbrace but I was eatin dirt
I set one side in place . lookin ok so far.

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looking good, John. I was going to ask how you're getting under there with ease for all the great photos until I saw that it was up on ramps. This is looking really solid. Keep it up.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou I noticed that you removed your bump stop. I was thinking of putting it on inside of rail. bolt it on. why didnt you put yours back on?
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Lou I noticed that you removed your bump stop. I was thinking of putting it on inside of rail. bolt it on. why didnt you put yours back on?
To be honest, really didn't think I would need them. So I left them off. The old ones don't look like they have ever hit the rear. I think there was 3 of them, one each side and one in the middle?

Strange thing is I was thinking about them yesterday, and if it was wise to leave them off, lol.

Anything I didn't think I needed any more I took off or if a hole I filled. Want simple smooth uncluttered look when I am done.

I still have them so if I want I can still put them on. Or I can just make new ones. And do like you are and bolt them inside rail.

So on different note, you are going to have A LOT of room for rear tires, width wise. Any idea on what your going to run in the back yet?? You going to stretch the opening for larger Dia. too??

Your going to be thrilled when it's done. I smile every time I look at the back of my Comet with the big tires and then giggle when I know I have room for bigger................LOL

Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I have worked on Falcons and Comets where we took the bump stops off for tire clearance,never had any of them bottom out! You would need a load of 'SHINE' in the trunk and a few 'LARGE' friends riding along before you would need to worry about hitting bottom!!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I thought it may be that those big tires would bump before the bumpstop did! :lol: I'll just take them off for now & Roy I have the big buddys & the trunks would hold plenty of shine, maybe thats what those airshocks I just took off were for!

havnt thought about tires other than WIDER!!

I dont know about the wheel opening yet. I saw where someone said you could have leaf centering holes an inch or so back. I would like to know more about that.
Johno

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

John, I just moved my pin back an inch last weekend. I didn't like the way it looked with the bigger tires and rims to close to the front rocker. Also had to change my back rims from 3.75 to 4.25 backspace to close to the front lip. I post some pics later. Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!