390 accessory bracket help

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Sabatona

390 accessory bracket help

Post by Sabatona »

Hi all.

I am in the process of re-installing all of the accessories on the the 390 Cyclone I just purchased.

Its a factory AC car.

I figured out the Alternator brackets and idler, and now I am tackling the Power Steering pump.

A photo I found on line shows 2 idlers for the AC belt: 1 attached to the Alternator bracket, and a second that looks as if it is attached to the power steering pump bracket.

The PS bracket I currently have does not seem to have a provision for this 2nd idler.......

The bracket in the 1st photo looks like it might be cast, where the bracket I currently have is stamped.

So, unless the photo I found is not correct, I am thinking that possibly I have a PS bracket for a non-ac car.....

Does seem odd that it would have 2 idlers for the AC though...

Any help or photos of the correct bracket, etc would be greatly appreciated...Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C
DSO 84 Home Office Reserve

Lip Ripper

Re: 390 accessory bracket help

Post by Lip Ripper »

That is the same bracket I have and my car did not have air originally.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Thanks.

What I am really needing is a photo of the correct bracket so I can locate the correct replacement for the install.

Hopefully someone has a photo of one, or possibly one for sale.

Thanks in advance.
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I went with Classic Auto Air so I cannot help with that, sorry.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Hopefully someone on the forum has a 390 factory AC car and can provide answers...
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Found a drawing for a 390 on CAA that may or may not help. Looks like the bracket that the idler mounts on the pass side is different. May be specific to mustang though it doesn't say. But if you can find all those brackets would probably fit.
Ron

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Thanks Ron.

That's the problem. I need to find a photo or part # of the correct bracket so I can search for it...right now, I am stuck.

Think I will call the guy I bought the car from and see if he might have the bracket still....

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.

Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Bracket #2888 was a common part on 67 -70 fords. The big block and small blocks used a similar part but it may not be the same part for all years and all engines. That part bolted to the ac compressor to stabilize it and always has some style idler to adjust the ac belt tension bolted to it.
Part #2882 the comp mount was probably unique to the 390.
Ford added a second idler #8678 which was to stop the compressor drive belt from flopping and jumping off. Early fords didn't have that idler but was offered over the counter as an addon. Many engines never had that idler and live just fine without it.
Those are the main and hardest pieces to find. the pulleys and everything else are simpler to find. Early mustangs/cougars/and other full size fords are sources for the parts. Some may be available from CAA but you would have to call to find out.
The drawing should give you a good idea what is needed.
I have one of the #2888 parts but I believe it is for a small block so probably wouldn't fit a 390.
Ron

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Thanks for the info Ron.
I pent some time last weekend on all of the brackets, and I think I am good to go with the current PS bracket that I have.

I test installed everything, including the belts, and the AC belt fits perfectly with the single tension pulley, so I think I am going to go with what I have and cross my fingers that the belt does not whip or come off...should be fine.

Thanks for the help! Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If all those pics are your engine then it appears you have the ac belt already in place. Looks like you have the second idler on the ac belt. and from what I see looks like the ps pump may line up with the rear most groove on the crank pulley. If so then you just need a short belt from the crank to the ps pump.
As an alternate idea one i use on my 302 on comechero and i did the same thing on my 66 mustang when I had it. I only use a 2 groove pulley, the rear one goes from crank to water pump to alt. the next belt goes from crank to ps pump to ac comp and to water pump. In essence the one belt drives the ac and ps pump both. That's not the normal way but how I do mine. It saves space in the engine compartment with only 2 groove pulleys. Some will say that's not good as it will wear out the ps pump bushing but after 20 years the mustang was as good as the day I built it that way. So had no doubts about doing it that way again.
I no longer have the ps pump on mine since I installed the electric steering and eliminated all the ford hydraulic seeting parts. Obviously my 5.0 is different than a 390 but same ideas could be employed.

Ron

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Hi Guys.

Got my bracket and belts all sorted out and good to go.

Thanks so much for the help and advice! Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Sabatona wrote:Hi Guys.

Got my bracket and belts all sorted out and good to go.

Thanks so much for the help and advice! Len
That's always nice when you have all the pieces figured out and on hand. Will make it easy once you are finally ready to put it together. Enjoy.

I made some changes in mine when I was putting it together but I knew what I needed to do.
Ron