Hood

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fair67

Re: Hood

Post by fair67 »

Got the epoxy primer on the hood today and my daughter and wife sanded it. I am not a painter but the primer is on thanks for all the help.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

fair67 wrote:I am not a painter but the primer is on thanks for all the help
It looks good to me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fair67

Post by fair67 »

lavron wrote:
fair67 wrote:I am not a painter but the primer is on thanks for all the help
It looks good to me.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks Lavron my daughter is really happy with it.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Got the hood pins on and now my Daughter is excited to drive it again.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

COOL BEANS !!!!!!!!!......team effort !!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,POP :D 8) 8) 8)
pop/glenda

fair67

Post by fair67 »

popscomet wrote:COOL BEANS !!!!!!!!!......team effort !!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,POP :D 8) 8) 8)
Thanks Pop she just asked me to go drive it with her but it is raining she says not raining much. LOL.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

We decided to go with Poboyjo65 idea of adding an angle iron extension. It seems to be a great Idea Thanks

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

fair67 here is another thing I did to mine to guard the edge , & maybe help prevent cracks around the carb hole. I cant remember if this is the right thickness,amazon has a lot of them but I just picked this one at random for an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KG9BAY0/re ... a146e1910f
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's some good stuff...used a length of it on my core support,,been on it for yrs....POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:that's some good stuff...used a length of it on my core support,,been on it for yrs....POP
Pop I use it for lots of stuff like that,,,& for larger grommets on holes that are bigger than I can find a grommet for. & for sharp edges, like what you used it for.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I hate to say this but what few friends I have that are GM as bad as I am FORD,put that on my COMET,I liked it so it stayed !! HE was a GM only race engine builder and I stopped at his shop to get some break in oil when I built the 390 for my 66 f100 and he came outside to look at the comet and noticed that piece of rubber strip in frt of the rad was torn so he gave it to me and ask if he could put it on there,, :o :lol: :wink: :!: pop
pop/glenda

fair67

Post by fair67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:fair67 here is another thing I did to mine to guard the edge , & maybe help prevent cracks around the carb hole. I cant remember if this is the right thickness,amazon has a lot of them but I just picked this one at random for an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KG9BAY0/re ... a146e1910f
I may have some of that I will look and see if it is long enough.
Thanks

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fair67 I realize you have an oval hole but this may give you or other people some ideas: I was reluctant to cut my hole too close to the side of the duct so I left a small flat spot to keep from weakening it too much. Also I wanted a better ''land'' place for the foam to land to seal it off so I cut up a 14'' breather base & left part of the edge to keep it rigid out where it hangs out,,,then I added the edge trim over it all.

I used a 14'' breather base with a 9'' breather top & filter
got the foam from lowes, pipe insulation,squeezed together & glued,,, but left the very top unglued so it had better spring & glued it to the 14'' base. the bottom of the snorkel is uneven so I did a little trimming on the bottom of the foam so it meets the snorkel better before I glued it to the base.
Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Fair67 I realize you have an oval hole but this may give you or other people some ideas: I was reluctant to cut my hole too close to the side of the duct so I left a small flat spot to keep from weakening it too much. Also I wanted a better ''land'' place for the foam to land to seal it off so I cut up a 14'' breather base & left part of the edge to keep it rigid out where it hangs out,,,then I added the edge trim over it all.

I used a 14'' breather base with a 9'' breather top & filter
got the foam from lowes, pipe insulation,squeezed together & glued,,, but left the very top unglued so it had better spring & glued it to the 14'' base. the bottom of the snorkel is uneven so I did a little trimming on the bottom of the foam so it meets the snorkel better before I glued it to the base.
Thank you for all the great advice it ended up being 27 degrees here so I cant try the stuff on it yet but will fire up the heater.
Thanks