65 Caliente Shift Collar Cracked

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

65 Caliente Shift Collar Cracked

Post by kevinshi »

Has anyone had any luck repairing (or finding a replacement for) a 65 caliente cracked shift collar (see picture below)?

I would like to keep my original look including the lit selector for the shift compass. I cannot find any reproduction parts that seem to included the slot for the little selector light. (If you know of a source please let me know... all of the collars I see out there do not include the slot as pictured below).

I am therefore thinking I need to fix this... and I'm thinking to use some kind of adhesive... anyone out there done this already and/or have any advice?

Thanks,
kevin
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 65 Caliente Shift Collar Cracked

Post by lavron »

Kevin I have one, it is not going to be perfect and it is off of a '64 but you are welcome to it, I will have to go take it off but it needs to be used by someone.
'64 Auto Shift Collar
'64 Auto Shift Collar
CometAutoShiftCollar1.jpg (254.97 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
It has a boogered up hole that holds the shift arm in there. (sorry about the poor photo quality)
'64 shift collar pin hole
'64 shift collar pin hole
CometAutoShiftCollar2.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
You can have it for shipping and whatever it is worth to you on top of that.

Just PM me if you are interested.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Unfortunately,the metal in the collar is of such poor and unknown quality that it is virtually impossible to weld and I can't imagine any type of adhesive will hold very long. The wallowed out hole in Lavron's collar (and yours) is the most common problem.I drilled out and bushed the hole one time and it worked ok but was never happy with the look. Your best bet would be going with the repop and forgetting about the light IMO

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

vicegrip wrote:Unfortunately,the metal in the collar is of such poor and unknown quality that it is virtually impossible to weld and I can't imagine any type of adhesive will hold very long. The wallowed out hole in Lavron's collar (and yours) is the most common problem.I drilled out and bushed the hole one time and it worked ok but was never happy with the look. Your best bet would be going with the repop and forgetting about the light IMO
Augh, don't tell me that. ;-).
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Kevin I have this one if it's the right thing. It's like brand new
Tom

tomb's 65

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

Have one that's the same color, med metallic blue in excellent;;ant shape. in process of coming off my car. my AOD is floor shift and replacing collar with a four speed collar...Ron

65CometWagon

Post by 65CometWagon »

I'm in Southern California and my 1965 Comet Wagon keeps popping out of Park. Desperately need the shift collar. Much Appreciated!
Ed
(310) 941-0452
EddieSolt@gmail.com

comethead

Post by comethead »

Get a repop and fix the car for now. Check eBay and eventually you’ll get the right one that’s lighted, then you can fix it correct.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed