'65 Wiper Switch/Systems: Two speed = interval?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

'65 Wiper Switch/Systems: Two speed = interval?

Post by kevinshi »

Hey folks -

Anyone know how many types of windshield wiper systems were available on the 1965? I *think* the answer is 2 - a single speed and a two speed. E.g. the "two speed" is the same as the interval.

I am shopping for wiring harnesses. My car has the interval system (with the inner pole on the switch and the vacuum tubes that enable 'faster operation when passing'). I just want to make sure that my system is also referred to as "two speed" - yes?

Thanks!
kevin
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

barrys65cyclone

Re: '65 Wiper Switch/Systems: Two speed = interval?

Post by barrys65cyclone »

For Comet Single Speed or intermittent. now I put a true 2 spd from Falcon in mine.

Barry

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Barry how does a true 2 speed differ from intermittent? (And from a wiring perspective is "two speed wiper" sufficient to cover my intermittent wipers?)
Thanks,
kevin

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

kevin
I had to find a wiper harness from a 65 Falcon you also need the switch and windshield washer pump on the floor to make conversion what is nice is if in light rain just touch the washer pump pedal w/o turning on wiper switch and wipers go through one cycle then stop.

Barry

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Kevin
I bought a 1973 to 1979 ford truck 2 speed motor which bolts right on the 65 Comet bracket. Just add the old cam to the newer motor. I also bought a 1973 to 1979 ford pickup wiper delay switch

You can transfer the old wiper knob to the new switch. Turn the knob to the right for 2 different speeds and the left for adjustable delays. Push the knob for washer spray.
Works great
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I bought a 1973 to 1979 ford truck 2 speed motor which bolts right on the 65 Comet bracket. Just add the old cam to the newer motor. I also bought a 1973 to 1979 ford pickup wiper delay switch
I am going to attempt the same when I get around to that point, even though I have a really nice single speed wiper motor hanging on the wall in the shed that I bought from Jack Chrisman's daughter when she was building a reproduction of the Chrisman Comet several years ago.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

tomb22 wrote:I bought a 1973 to 1979 ford truck 2 speed motor which bolts right on the 65 Comet bracket. Just add the old cam to the newer motor. I also bought a 1973 to 1979 ford pickup wiper delay switch. You can transfer the old wiper knob to the new switch. Turn the knob to the right for 2 different speeds and the left for adjustable delays. Push the knob for washer spray. Works great.
Now THAT is some good info. It's definitely going into my "What I want to do on by build" file. :D
Jim

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I am far more of a moron than you all seem to assume. ;-)

What is the advantage to using a 2 Speed rather than the stock Interval Wiper? (Also how do I know whether a given wiring harness supports Interval)?
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Kevin did your interval wiper work? If it works it would probably be better

I have the interval wipers & was planning to try to hook it all back up but I couldn't find a vacuum diagram & didnt feel like trial & error method. then a couple guys on FB said they probably would not work right even with NOS parts. I decided then not to try to use it & that I would do the 70s truck parts if I ever did anything. but then I decided I probably dont need any more than my one speed that the interval wiper has with no vacuum. I do have the pedal that Barry spoke off & it is nice. I used it a lot on the way across Tenn to the comet gathering.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Well, this thread comes a week late for me. I just bought the New Port Engineering 2 speed kit with switch for $239.

Sigh
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I found some guys who have some of these 70s trucks wiper set ups. 2 from a guy ,50 each,without motors,but he is out of motors. would like to get a 2 speed motor for my comet from the same person & my 76 truck wants one of the delay switch kits. I was riding the truck in the drizzling rain yesterday & got the idea I want a foot pump with wiper swipe switch like Barry mentioned in my truck .the one in my comet is great on those days when your wipers drive you nuts with the loud dry scrub! :x here is my spare pedal,, I was about to offer up for sale but changed my mind & its going in the truck. :lol:

& to help explain what Barry said, in this pic you can see the button on the switch pops out when you push the pedal part way,buy as you can see it it not yet depressing on the rubber pump bulp. And as an added feature you can stomp the pedal & shoot washer fluid over the car on to any tailgaters who may be too close. :lol: :lol: you might have to adjust your squirters just a little , but I know it works,over 50 years ago I was squirting women on their way to the outhouse at church &I was hiding down in the seat & stompin that pedal. they thought it was raining :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :roll: :P
Got a question for Barry ,are these pretty easy to wire up on a vehicle that didnt have it? You got any pointers for wiring them up?
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:he one in my comet is great on those days when your wipers drive you nuts with the loud dry scrub!
You have a picture of the one in your Comet?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:he one in my comet is great on those days when your wipers drive you nuts with the loud dry scrub!
You have a picture of the one in your Comet?

See Ya,
Mike
Yea here is a pretty good one,,,, it's just like the one in the pics I posted but has the rubber pad that this one is missing.

Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

poboyjo65 wrote:Kevin did your interval wiper work? If it works it would probably be better

I have the interval wipers & was planning to try to hook it all back up but I couldn't find a vacuum diagram & didnt feel like trial & error method. then a couple guys on FB said they probably would not work right even with NOS parts. I decided then not to try to use it & that I would do the 70s truck parts if I ever did anything. but then I decided I probably dont need any more than my one speed that the interval wiper has with no vacuum. I do have the pedal that Barry spoke off & it is nice. I used it a lot on the way across Tenn to the comet gathering.
Well as far as I know they were working fine. I took them off a few weeks ago... and had rarely used them over the previous 8-10 years (being a convertible I kinda don't drive it with its raining very much ;-). I have all the correct hoses, wiring, components, etc. - e.g. no reason to think the system would not work fine.

I was very careful to mark the connections before removing my switch. If you would like I can come back to this thread in the next few weeks with detailed documentation about how to hook it all up. I can include a scan of a pretty useful illustration in the Master Parts catalog - it illustrates how the vacuum hoses are supposed to be connected inside the engine bay.

I talked to the American Autowire technical support folks. They assert that their harness will work fine with any speed wiper. I am inclined to believe this... in fact now that I search a bit again I cannot now find any wiring vendor that calls out a 1vs2 speed option on their harness systems. Maybe I am just hallucinating.
Thanks,
kevin

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Let me just say that the Newport Engineering 2 speed motor is smooth and quiet. They also offer the washer mode.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.