1964 Cyclone reconstruction album

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

1964 Cyclone reconstruction album

Post by A/FX »

I have mentioned a few details about my ’64 Cyclone build in past posts. Now I will make available to anyone who is interested a Flickr page that I update periodically with photos of what has been done to the car during this reconstruction. A little history about the Cyclone may interest you. I purchased this car on July 2, 1968, it was used and needed some TLC. It was my daily driver for a couple of years until I could afford a cheap car for basic transportation. (In the day that was a $100 beater) in 1971 I put the Cyclone in storage because I special ordered a new 1971 Comet GT, that car took priority for a couple of years and underwent some serious modifications. I also purchased a 1972 Comet GT for my wife, She had a ’70 Mach 1 Mustang but I was more of a Comet guy so she got a Comet. In 1973 I started to rebuild the Cyclone, I purchased a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang that has rolled six times and was a total wreck. I installed the Boss engine, disc brakes, and a few other pieces in the Cyclone. The top loader four speed from the Boss went into my Comet GT. (Along with a tri power intake and a few other goodies) the Cyclone was under construction for two years, in addition to the Boss 302 I installed a 9” rear end and rebuilt the complete car. I finished the Cyclone in 1975, it was shown a numerous events and even made into a few magazines. In 1980 I took the Cyclone completely apart, I was not pleased with a couple of details and decided I could make it better. After working on it for a couple more years I became board with the project so I boxed everything and put the car into storage again. I decided I wanted a early 30’s Ford hot rod so I started to build a ’33 Ford Victoria, it was a involved build with most components being fabricated in my shop. After the Victoria I restored a number of microcars and built some motorcycles. The plan was to get back to the Cyclone after a few “fund raising” restorations. In addition to all the automotive related activity normal things like my job and moving into a different house took time. About two years ago I started to reconstruct the Cyclone again. Over the last decades that the car was apart I made a plan of what I wanted to do with the car and what I wanted it to be when it was finished. I knew I wanted to have the car chemically stripped so I would have clean metal to work with. The modifications I planned would be extensive, I decided to use the Boss engine again but with modern internals and aluminum cylinder heads, to go with the rare dual quad manifold I purchased in 1989.
The pictures in my Flickr album will show some of the modifications that have been done to the car, every mechanical component has been modified. The body will be completely stock except for the “Plazglas” A/FX hood. All the trim, and chrome is either NOS or re finished. I have included a link to the photo album, I hope you enjoy what has been done so far. If all goes as planned it will hit the streets in 2020.
Jim

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kabinenro ... 6464305953
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 1964 Cyclone reconstruction album

Post by lavron »

Now that was a cool bunch of pictures, thanks for sharing that.

Again I find myself in the presence of greatness that mere mortals, like myself, can only hope to reach :P

Love the story too.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Top notch ,all of it. well thought out. nice job!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's the way to rebuild one ….pretty dang awesome !!….pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jim, your the guy with the Cyclone on the cover of Street Machine!! 8) 8)
I was a subscriber to that mag and that issue has been on my desk since I posted here on CC if anybody knew if that Cyclone was still around and if so would they want this issue I have. I was assured it was and that the owner was in fact a member here and had a couple of issues so keep mine. :D
Your build is one of those dream builds seen in the mags,,, WOW!! I really enjoyed looking through it and thank you for sharing.
Noticed you bought it in '68, 50 years, that's in it for the long haul! Congrats!
Noticed you also have a Fourtrax, little newer than mine, sold my small dirt bikes but looking for something in the 250cc 4 stroke trailbike. Gonna pull a little camper too,, more like a little WHEELSTAND!!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

MARVELOUS!
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thank you for all the kind comments. When I started this rebuild I had a master plan, so far I have not deviated from my initial ideas. There are numerous details and modifications that have been done that will never be seen or noticed but I enjoy the design and fabrication, when it is finished it should be exactly what I want. Right now the car is in total mock up stage, as soon as I am finished with fabrication of a few items I will blow the car completely apart and send the body for e-coat. (The doors and fenders have already been through that process) hopefully by next spring the body and it’s components will be at the body shop for final fitting, body work, and paint. The interior will be minimal but done by a professional who I have used for numerous restorations I have done.
The Boss engine is assembled and almost ready to be installed (that’s a dummy engine in the car right now) the four speed is rebuilt as is the 3:50 equalock rear gears. The exhaust system is finished except for polishing. (All stainless) I have every part needed to assemble the car when the time comes. Right now I am inventorying all the fasteners so I can have them refinished or replace them with stainless steel.
If all goes well I will be spending next fall and winter doing final assembly so the car will be ready for the summer of 2020.
I will update the Flickr page periodically and post a message here when new photos are uploaded.
If you have any questions about what I have done or how I did it please feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Jim
‘64 Cyclone

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Awesome job Jim. It looks great. What are your plans as far as driving it? Drag strip? Cruiser? Show car?
Tom
tomb's 65

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:Jim, your the guy with the Cyclone on the cover of Street Machine!! 8) 8)
I was a subscriber to that mag and that issue has been on my desk since I posted here on CC if anybody knew if that Cyclone was still around and if so would they want this issue I have. I was assured it was and that the owner was in fact a member here and had a couple of issues so keep mine. :D
Your build is one of those dream builds seen in the mags,,, WOW!! I really enjoyed looking through it and thank you for sharing.
Noticed you bought it in '68, 50 years, that's in it for the long haul! Congrats!
Noticed you also have a Fourtrax, little newer than mine, sold my small dirt bikes but looking for something in the 250cc 4 stroke trailbike. Gonna pull a little camper too,, more like a little WHEELSTAND!!!
Fred
Fred
Yes that is me and my Cyclone. When I bought it I did not even give a thought about owning it for 50 years. This is one car that will be with me forever. ( actually I also own a car that my father bought in 1959, I restored it and it is displayed in my shop) my Fourtrax is for utility work around the property, I use it to plow snow etc. I am also into vintage motorcycles and scooters, actually almost anything with wheels is my passion. (Within reason)
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

tomb22 wrote:Awesome job Jim. It looks great. What are your plans as far as driving it? Drag strip? Cruiser? Show car?
Tom
Thanks Tom,
I am not sure what I will do with the Cyclone, it is not a race car so it will not see a drag strip, I have done indoor car shows in the past, I do not plan to repeat that. I will drive it when weather permits, it will no doubt be a certain NSRA and Goodguys events. Right now I am concentrating on finishing the reconstruction so I can start on one of the other projects on my list.
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

All that work is most impressive. Can't wait to see the finished version.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Super Job!! You can tell the fabrication and craftsmanship is a passion with you. Congrats!
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I mentioned in a previous post that I would update the progress periodically.
In the passed few weeks I have been able to fit the hood to the opening and set preliminary gaps. The final bodywork will be done on the hood when the car is in the body shop and we assemble the car for final mock up.
I removed the rear springs and took them back to the spring shop for some tweaking, I had them cut the eyes off a pair of extra main springs that I had, they then punched them for nylon buttons and added them to the stack. I reinstalled the springs oand gained 1 3/8” of height in the rear of the car. I then calculated the weight of everything that would be installed when the car is finished and added the weight of a tank of fuel. The car settled another inch which put it right where I wanted it. The car has been bounced a few times and has been sitting in it wheels with the weight in the trunk for two weeks now, it has not settled any more but I have allowed for future settling. My rear suspension modifications work very good, the car moves freely with no bind and plenty of travel. The front height is right where I want it, it cannot go down anymore because at this point I only have 3 1/2” of clearance to the header collector flanges, which is the lowest point of the undercarriage. If Settles, or I need more clearance all I have to do is adjust the coil overs on the front.
The car will be taken apart real soon for final welding and fuel/brake lines. I plan to put it back on the rotisserie for those projects. If all goes well the body will be sent to Detroit for e-coat as soon as the weather breaks. Bodywork and paint will follow next summer. I have almost all of the stainless steel trim pieces back from the polisher, they look better than new. I might do a radio delete this time around if I can come up with an extra radio face plate, I do not want to use my am/fm plate. I met with my interior guy, he is on board. The interior will be minimal but I want it to be well done.
More updates as they happen........

Image Image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kabinenro ... 6464305953

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nailed the stance,love it!!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

not to many re-done like this one,,,we know there are some out there,but this the poster child on how to do it,,,,such a great project....thanks for posting ,,,,POP
pop/glenda