Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
bigdan

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by bigdan »

Tom - Glad to hear you're getting it dialed in! I know the feeling - ther first few hundred miles I was on high alert listening to every single noise my car made - and didn't really step in it much. Those days are long past! :mrgreen:

What rear is in your car? 9"? Locker? Hope you get that figured out. Keep us posted -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I got a 97 Explorer rear with disc brakes. It has all new seals, bearings, 3:55 gears, brakes and posi clutches with steels. I narrowed it up by installing another short axle. I did have somebody else replace the 3:73 gears it came with, with 3:55 gears and set it up the final time. The first time I drove it; I didn't like the gearing and It made a howling noise when you decelerated so I figured I didn't do a good job setting it up myself.
Maybe I should go to a big parking lot and do figure eights to break it in :roll:
tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Last week I finally got the car back from my auto body guy. He did an excellent job on the rear quarter panel. Nobody including me can tell that anything happened to it.
So I put the grill and headlight covers on and most of the scripts. Took it to a local car show last Saturday and it was a big hit. Made me feel good for all the work I've done to it. It was so funny watching people try to figure out what it was and who made it. They had to ask me. Here is a picture of the quarter panel

So the only things left to do is charge the AC unit and put the scripts on the newly painted quarter panel and I'm making a trunk cover.
Been driving it and the grand kids where here last week and wanted to ride in it all the time. :lol:
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOU DID GOOD !! car looks great....as far as being ask what it was or who built it,,POP has heard that so many times. again ,job well done...drive and enjoy.....it's cool 8) ..pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She looks GREAT, Tom! 8) Quarter panel looks like nothing ever happened. Driving those grandkids around to keep them happy sounds like a tough job, but somebody's got to do. :lol: :lol: Enjoy!

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Looks good Tom.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom your car has a great stance. I have enjoyed watching this thing get built,thanks for including us. :P
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys for the thumps up. I'm really enjoying driving it around. I'll be taking it to a couple more shows this summer. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.
I'm slowly working up to an all out pedal to the metal blast. I haven't done that yet cause I'm still checking it out; making sure everything is working like it's supposed to and all the welding stays put.
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

8) :lol: :lol: :lol: well as we all well know....all weld's have to be stressed tested ….just do it close to home....and without a bunch of on lookers :oops: :oops: pop
pop/glenda

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Did you put friction modifier in your diff?

Car looks awesome!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Love to see a "final" video of your Comet if you have a way to do that or know someone who could 8) In lieu of that a set of picts would be great.

Would be nice for all the mostly finished Comets out to have a walk around video because most we will never get to see in person.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

redhotcomet wrote:Did you put friction modifier in your diff?

Car looks awesome!
Thanks redhotcomet. and yes it has friction modifier. It's getting less noisy the more I drive it. Had to paint it red seeing as Caliente means hot in Spanish.

That's a good idea Mike and I will give it a try.

tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Haven't posted anything for a while but I'm going to give you some updates shortly. I was looking at my Facebook page today and saw a picture of a jet truck that looked familiar. Opened up the article and it was about a car show that I went to this summer not far from home. The article is by Hot Rod Magazine promoted by Motor Trend. They have pictures of some of the cars there and by gosh there is 3 pictures of my car. They must of liked it. :D
My friend built and owns the Chevy wagon that is pictured. He took it to some drag race for nostalgic cars and the actual driver of the original car drove it.
So far I have taken it to 4 car shows where I stayed till they gave out trophy's and have won a trophy twice. People really like it. Have had one phone call from somebody who wanted to buy it. He told me if he didn't have enough money his brother-in law does. We never talked how much. It's not for sale.

So here is the link to the article if your interested.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fun-fla ... kl5MWw20bI

tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It looks great Tom! it's no wonder they took so many pics of it! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She looks great, Tom! 8) Congratulations! :D