Ignition switch

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Jfox

Ignition switch

Post by Jfox »

I’m having issues keeping the car running. It will run for three to four minutes then the engine dies before it dies the tech goes to nothing so it looks like I’m losing power I’ve pulled the ignition switch trying to test it and I’m not 100% sure how to test. If I let it set for five to ten minutes it will start again but only for three to four minutes. can anybody give me a hand I’m not sure which terminal it the accessory my book shows that I should have three terminals plus the screw my switch has four terminals plus the screw any help would be appreciated

Thank you J.fox@gmail.com

After more checking when the car starts with no issues runs for four or five minutes but dash Lights go out and car won’t start again. New fuel line from tank to manual pump. So I know it’s a electrical issue but not sure how to start to trace down the problem I have a new coil and electronic points Ran fine last year but took tank out to weld in some new metal and now this. Is there a place to get a new wire harness that is easy install. I put one in a Chevy but everything was labeled and fairly simple. I haven’t found one for the comet yet it’s about the only thing I haven’t changed yet

loman

Re: Ignition switch

Post by loman »

Did you have the new coil and points in when you were welding? If so maybe something got messed up from welding. I was always told to disconnect the main electrical items when welding. I know someone who fried an msd box that was not disconnected while welding.
If you still have the old coil and points. You may think about swapping them out one at a time and see if one of them are the issue. At least that is where I would start.

Jfox

Post by Jfox »

Thank you for your input. Come to find out the Resistor on the firewall was bad and the ground on engine was also not making good contact to the frame or body

I just found out that now I must sell my project to make room for a family members corvette

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jfox wrote:Thank you for your input. Come to find out the Resistor on the firewall was bad and the ground on engine was also not making good contact to the frame or body

I just found out that now I must sell my project to make room for a family members corvette
MAY I ask what car were you having this problem on ?? thank you ...pop
pop/glenda

Jfox

Post by Jfox »

64 2 door hard top with 302 four speed motor not original but four speed trans is. Looks like the wiring has been butchered

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Looks like the wiring has been butchered[/quote]
Had you mentioned this at 1st,.....the resistor wire in the harness is bad,,64 comets did not come with a resistor on the fire wall,,they have a resistor wire and yours is bad,that's the reason for it having one,,and it is ok,,I did this very thing over 30 yrs ago on my 71 bronco and have never changed it,still on there! Yblock fords in the mid to late 50's( started in 56 had a resistor mounted next to the coil...then after that a resistor wire was used.....thanks glad you got it fixed.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I just found out that now I must sell my project to make room for a family members corvette[/quote]
DAD GUM !!!! this one is a shocker.....to each his own....ain't much I wouldn't do for wife kids grd and grt grd son,I would sell my comet for help on medical exspences if had to,,,other then that if I had to move it outside,,it would sit with a car cover..but that just the way OL POP sees it......but on the other hand to me a MAN HAS TO DO WHAT A MAN HAS TO DO...so best of luck....thank you POP
pop/glenda