Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:So here is the link to the article if your interested.
Nice, really cool you got 3 pictures on the website.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

great pic's,,makes you feel like all your work money and effort payed off,when you see your car in print and asked to sell it..
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys for looking. Pretty much every body likes the car and most of them have no clue what it is, but they like the lines.

tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

tomb22 wrote:Thanks guys for looking. Pretty much every body likes the car and most of them have no clue what it is, but they like the lines.

tom
What's not to like,,, other than those vertically stacked headlights,, lol
Looks great, happy your getting the kudos you deserve.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:What's not to like,,, other than those vertically stacked headlights,, lol
Good for coon huntin'. Right, Pop? :lol: :lol: Those horizontal lights are only good for spotting deer....just before impact. :lol: :lol:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
SASSY wrote:What's not to like,,, other than those vertically stacked headlights,, lol
Good for coon huntin'. Right, Pop? :lol: :lol: Those horizontal lights are only good for spotting deer....just before impact. :lol: :lol:

Jim
AND HEADLIGHTEN RABBITS...….
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote: Those horizontal lights are only good for spotting deer....just before impact. :lol: :lol:

Jim
Oh sure,, ya gotta bring that up and stick it in my face,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I've got some fancy bright lights that should spot those deer a long ways off :lol: and we have a lot of deer here in Buffalo County, WI
tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

tomb22 wrote:I've got some fancy bright lights that should spot those deer a long ways off :lol: and we have a lot of deer here in Buffalo County, WI
Better deer than buffalo! :shock: :lol:

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Just an update about the car. I put 1000 miles on it this past summer. Not a lot but I did enjoy driving it. I tried to go to a car show about 80 miles from us and didn't make it. A wheel bearing went out in the front right. The only items I never checked out during the build were the front wheel bearings. So after getting the car home and checking it out I found that the front spindles where still 6 cylinder spindles with a micky mouse disc brake set up. Meaning there was a bushing inside the outer wheel bearing to get the diameter small enough to fit the spindle. It also seemed like I could not get the rotor tightened up enough to set the bearings right. There always seemed to be some play after tightening up the spindle nut.
I ended up buying a CSRP disk brake kit that was new but had been installed on a vehicle for the past 20 years but never driven. I'm in the process right now of installing this kit. Here is a picture of the Granada spindle. Do you think the offset on the upper part will help with caster.

The tie rod arm is .5 " shorter than the 6 cylinder arm and I'm hoping that will give me a tighter tuning radius.

Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Not sure about the castor but the turning radius is controlled by the steering stops on the radius rods. The shorter tie rod arm will quicken the steering abit though.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'd bet it will make it turn sharper! a little anyway. I see you have R& P, so I bet it wasn't ever touching the stops. & like Fred said it will help it to be quicker steering .. it could possibly reduce the amount of turns of the steering wheel from stop to stop if these changes result in the spindles hitting the stops,but if the rack bottoms out before the spindles get to the stops the amount of turns of the wheel will remain the same .

as for that offset. As far as helping to get more caster, I don't see how it could get more,, but it may have the same effect as more caster.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

With the R&P the stops never came into play and now I removed them totally. The tires don't hit the frame so I'm good, but it will be interesting to see how much I gained in turning tighter. I'm hoping it will be noticeable. Here is a picture with the rotor and caliber installed. I was very pleased to see how much bigger these brake pads are compared to the ones I took off.

thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I don't think the offset in the spindle will affect the caster. The caster is a function of the location of the upper ball joint in relation to the lower ball joint. Since the ball joints are attached to the control arms, the position of the control arms is what determines the caster. The offset in the spindle would only change the clocking of the spindle slightly, not the location of the ball joints relative to one another. I think the only affect of the offset will to be to raise the tie rod ends slightly. And that opinion is worth every cent it cost you. :D

Jim
Last edited by Jims65cyclone on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

What you said about raising the tie rod ends Jim is just what happened. In order to get the tie rod parallel with the lower arm I had to use original Granada tie rod ends and not use the bump steer tie rod ends that came with the R&P kit. I also had to cut off 1/2" of the threaded R&P rod in order to get the tie rods turned on enough to get the wheels straight. So the new setup has way shorter R&P rods including tie rods then it had before.
I don't have a lot of knowledge on the geometry of the whole turning thing. I just read what people say about it. I did the Shelby drop and was trying to get 4 degrees positive caster like they wanted but, only could get about 2 because of the A arm binding on the shock tower.

tom
tomb's 65