Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:Great to see pics of the progress looks Great!! Also diggin the unibody!
Fred
thank you ,FRED,,but I don't understand the part of UNIBODY.. this has a frame,,,the body is just a cover,,it has no strutal value...after you get the build completed,,you drive it around like a go kart and make all adjustaments and check for loose bolts or what have you then you bring it back to shop and attach the body and windshield and roll bar....so to me it.s not a unibody..pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Never looked close enough, thought the pickup in the background was a 61? unibody.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:Never looked close enough, thought the pickup in the background was a 61? unibody.
I get what you were talking about,,,now !!….it's a 66 ,1 owner have had it many yrs,,was a 352,,,now has a 1963 390 in it,,,4bbl holly 3.50 rear gear ,3spd column shift...thank you....POP
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Not much to show on the Cobra but thought I'd share a pic of the latest shop addition.
This along with the lathe we bought a couple years ago has been a longtime dream.
PM-932M.jpg
PM-932M.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That is super cool, you will never have to buy parts again just fabricate them yourself :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It has taken a long time and lots of work to get this size of shop and get things in it that we would wish for,,,,we recall all the cars and trks and show cars and race cars we have built...and we didn't have all these tools,,,but we were much younger and it just seemed normal to have to use what ever it took and to have to crawl under and work while laying on the ground or cold concrete with a piece of card brd or an old rug....those days are over !!We have a couple of more big ticket items to get...a large bead blaster and a 2post lift,,,we have a 2post outside,and a 4post inside lift on one end of shop ,,a 2post on the other end inside would be handy....so they are already in the works to get pretty soon..just takes time and more work,,,and we dang sure ain"t afraid of work although we do get burnt out at times and take some time off and just do nothing for awhile ….it always has been our dream to have a nicely equipped shop,,,thanks ….ps it helps to have a wife and mother like me and son have...pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Sounds awesome POP
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP went Friday and picked up the MILL at about 11am at the UPS terminal..unloaded from trailer using the cherry picker..this dang thing weighs in over 800 lbs,,,tonight we got it in place...morrow, we will wire it up and put it in use....it has been a cake walk..no mashed fingers or such....soon as it is all hooked uo……...back on the cobra....wanta hurry up and start on his 74 half cab bronco and my 77 bronco half cab....we are always busy !!!!!!after the broncos are redone to the point we can sell them and then we will start on his 67 fast back stang he's had since he was 10 yrs old and POP;s 67 fast back stang I bought nearly brand new......mine is a factory S code big block.....we are never still...we build FORD stuff all the time...as far as pop is concered this TV can be given to the good will..I don't have time to watch it :!: :!: :!: when we switch from the cobra...I will start posting on POP'S FORDS POST !! we are thinking about ROD / custom frt ends and R/P on both stangs..son's is a 289 4spd....mine is a 390 hi-po 4spd....we don't never get tired...we just get burnt out on work for awhile !!! pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:unloaded from trailer using the cherry picker..this dang thing weighs in over 800 lbs
My cherry picker has been used to pick up more stuff than it has ever been used on motors, of course the most it has been used for it's intended purpose is since I have been working on the Comet over the last 2 years putting the motor in and out during the build multiple times.

Keep up the good work Pops, glad to hear no one got any parts mashed :P

there was a double post on your last one so I went ahead and deleted the second one, I hope that was ok and you weren't trying to emphasize the most by repeating :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

no sir ,hate for double to happen,,makes me appear to stutter...which I don't ….anytime you feel a need to correct one of my post ….go for it..won't bother POP....thank you
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man Pop Cobras looking real GOOD!
I mentioned before my buddy has an early Factory Five Cobra as well...and he just picked up another early one. It’s a project that was never completed and he got it for cheap with a truck load of good parts.

Look forward to your progress and pics! I usually relay your progress to him and show him the pics because he’s not a computer guy :lol: :lol:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thank you JOE !!! if your buddy happens to need a question answered...and we can help...just ask !!…….you need to get one of his cobras...…….pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Pop! I’m sure he’s going to have some questions once he’s deep into the build.
And I’m thinking one of those Cobras will end up in my garage eventually!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

does anyone know anything about those wheels that are on this cobra ?? they are 3piece centers,,and the rim is chrome but the center is about an half inch thick and is painted,,I had the centers powder coated,,,,a friend of mine came by the house just after I bought the cobra in 1998,,had the whls still wrapped in paper,,never been used,,,sold them cheap,,,but we can't find a name or number to look up for any info...we mounted those tires ourself back in 98 and we didn't think to look for any name or special markings back then,,,,,when we put new tires on it,,,might find a clue to who what where they were made ..thanks POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I went to the FED=X terminal 2 days ago and picked up our new bead blaster,,it's big enuff to put an engine block in,,can be loaded from end or the entire top comes up to load .,has it's own vacuum system sits besides it.Over at old shop we have a 60 gal air compressor,gonna bring it over here and hook up reserve tank so we never run out of air or over work the comp we use now...will mount it outside with 1in steel pipe running to bead blaster and from the exsisting comp we already have....the 2 post lift ain't far away.....just takes time to happen !! hopefuly after cobra is done....in time to start on the broncos...…………...thanks,,,POP…..CHASE has started ball practice 2 afternoons a week,,,so all shop work is put on hold then,,,he comes first…..remember what pop has always posted...what you do with kids at 3ft tall,,,,shows back up when they are 5/6 ft tall :!:
pop/glenda