1962 Comet Build Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
poboyjo65

Re: 1962 Comet Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great! You cant go wrong with those wheels! they really wake up its attitude! it looks fast & happy! :P
Johno

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Quick update. New site looks great. Got the headlights and tail lights working. Been replacing wire nuts and questionable splices. Also re-wiring for an alternator instead of a generator. I have the wiring from Parkersmood2 who did an excellent job detailing the routing of new wires. The part of it that I don't understand is why continue to run the 10 gauge black wire from the Voltage Regulator (that has been gutted) to the starter solenoid rather than run from the BAT on the alternator to the starter solenoid. Not sure but thought I would ask. See pic below. First time all four have been on! Stay safe and lay low.
Jim, we live in the hometown of Scotty McCreery- Garner. I used to play softball with his dad who can also sing; he is really good softball player too.
Lights working.jpg
Lights working.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Alternator wiring.jpg
Alternator wiring.jpg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
ImageImage

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

There using the old regulator for a splicing option and taking all wires to it. Makes it look original. The Battery wire off the alternator just needs to go to the battery side of the starter solenoid. You could remove the old regulator and just splice the wires needed for the alternator.
Hope this helps
tom
tomb's 65

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the help.

I took that starter and alternator to Advance Auto to be tested. The alternator sounded like squirrels running around inside while spinning by hand and the starter kicked out a dirt dobber nest when hit with enough current. I keep finding those pesky dobbers! More parts to be replaced.
ImageImage

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Quick Update. I realize I'm getting older because it took me about an hour to see the timing marks on the balancer. They were hiding in plain sight. I have been working on small things on this motor trying to get it ready to start. Finding TDC, replacing plugs, wiring electric fan, priming the oil pump, etc. I looked in the back of my truck this morning and found this thing:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
I took it over to East Coast Gear Supply in Raleigh so it can be shortened, debracketed, new seals and bearings, etc. The tag says 3.73 LSD. I may top out at about 55 MPH but thats OK for now. I am hopeful that she will start this weekend. I still have to re-route gas lines and brake lines as they get awfully close to the drive shaft. Stay safe. I cleaned the garage a little too. Its getting out of hand.
Comet Garage 4.jpg
Comet Garage 4.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man! Im outta breath just reading your post! Lol
Thanks for the updates, keep the pedal down
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Thanks Fred. Will do. The goal is to be driving this summer. I hope that I make it.
ImageImage

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

darryl27529 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:01 pm
I cleaned the garage a little too. Its getting out of hand.
I guess that is after you cleaned it, because mine is outta hand, but I keep bolting stuff back on the Comet so a little less cluttered every day.
darryl27529 wrote:
I looked in the back of my truck this morning and found this thing:
I had one of those follow me home as well one day, it was a little more rusty and dirty than yours.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Hi Mike. I go through cycles of clutter then clean but that is definitely after cleaning it up.

I have been eyeing that 8.8 on craigslist for a couple of weeks. Its out of a 97 Explorer. I keep calculating engine RPM at 60. I think it will be fine for cruising around town and I don't expect to be making long trips. The nice thing is that if I find its geared too low I have a bunch of options. Me and a buddy from work were going to tackle the cutting/narrowing but I called the local shop and they do axles- lots of Jeeps Dana 44 and 60's, and they have the jig to keep everything straight at reasonable prices. Decided to throw in some new bearings while in there.

Gonna try to start it on Good Friday. I'll have the garden hose and blankets close by in case something goes wrong. Its only exhaust manifolds right now so I might scare my neighbors. Once running I will take it to get the exhaust put on by a local shop. Let me know of any recommendations for mufflers.

I appreciate the technical (and moral) support from the forum and hope that I can share some of the stuff that I have encountered to help others. I spoke with my father in law tonight and he is pretty excited about seeing it once its done. Stay safe.
ImageImage

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

darryl27529 wrote:
I looked in the back of my truck this morning and found this thing:
I wish people would leave stuff like that in the back of my truck. :roll:

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I used the same rear end you have and switched the 3:73 to 3:55. I have a AOD transmission with overdrive and it still puts out 1900 RPM for 60 miles an hour. You'll like how snappy it is with the 3:73 though.
tom
tomb's 65

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

A couple of plug wires reversed and a few other small issues but she is running:

https://youtu.be/nfCAGef4mK4
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Right on lad!
Happy for ya, now the first drive,,,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :twisted: It's ALIVE! Sounds good, too.

Jim

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Been working on the Comet. Ran new brake lines. I used the nickel/copper and it bends easy and was pretty easy to create the double flare on the ends. Also have some aluminum fuel line. I have been trying to decide how to run near the engine. The previous owner zip tied the fuel line an brake line and poked them through a small hole between the firewall and engine mount. The shock tower seems to be getting in the way right now.
Comet Turn Around 1.jpg
Comet Turn Around 1.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
I also pushed the car out and turned it around to more easily access the rear.

I pulled the Ford 8 inch tonight. I confirmed the centerline distance for the spring plates is 43 inches. Also measured 6-7 degrees for the angle of the spring perch. One measured closer to 6 and the other 7.
Comet missing something.jpg
Comet missing something.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Ford 8 inch out.jpg
Ford 8 inch out.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
The previous owner used some homemade shackles in the rear and now I think I know why. The mustang leaf springs must be a little longer than stock Comet springs. I put the leaf spring back on using one of the standard shackles and with just a little load from a jack the back the leaf spring hits the body of the car. Geez. So now I have to decide how to fix it. Long shackles versus new springs versus 4 link.....
Time for a 4 link.jpg
Time for a 4 link.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
This car puts up a good fight. Stay safe.
ImageImage