Epoxy Primer/Sealer

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lavron
Site Admin

Epoxy Primer/Sealer

Post by lavron »

Has anyone used Summit Epoxy Primer? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up234g

It would be under $100 for a gallon and catalyst.

There is not a big price difference with Eastwood brand either. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-black ... allon.html

Which I think with the coupon code on the paint supply catalog I can get for around $111 including the catalyst.

Just looking for any of you guys opinion over what I might read someplace else. Also if you have a different brand I might look at, I think Jegs has some as well, I am not sure it isn't all the same stuff with different labels on it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

vicegrip

Re: Epoxy Primer/Sealer

Post by vicegrip »

The Summit stuff works pretty good.Obviously not top drawer but for a budget deal you really cant beat it. It's made by Kirker which is respectable. The mixing,technique,and gun will be a big factor

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

vicegrip wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 pm
The Summit stuff works pretty good.Obviously not top drawer but for a budget deal you really cant beat it.
I may get a gallon and try it out, obviously I am thinking ahead to getting started on the body work once I get all the mechanical stuff wrapped up.

I guess the other oft asked question; Bondo over, under or both with epoxy primer?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I haven't used either one, but they are a really good deal. ESP with the 1:1 ratio.

My advice would be not deciding what brand epoxy primer but what brand paint you ultimately want to use. Once you pick the brand paint you want to buy, then buy that brand epoxy primer and surfacer. So if you decide you want summit paint then I would then pick the summit epoxy primer and summit primer surfacer. Or if you like Eastwood paint then get their epoxy and primer.

Reason being when you start mixing brands you sometime run into issues with compatibility and such. Could be something right off like crinkling, popping, dull, or could be a problem later like delamination/peeling. Plus if you use products from different manufacturers if you have problems hard to get help. If you use the same brand from start to finish and something goes wrong they will help, and at least give you more product. Sticking with the same brand could very well save you some headaches!

Sorry can't help with any input on the brands, been using PPG exclusively for the last 15+ years. Only had one issue in that time, bad can of reducer. Before that used many different brands and had a lot more issues with compatibility.

Lou

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

To add to what Lou said...a short story about Summit paint. I had a car I was just going to stick a motor in it,shoot on a cheap coat of paint and drive it.With me,it's always a little more complicated. It ended up down to the bare metal and I shot it with Summit epoxy primer.There was a few easy fill small dents,shot it with a few coats of their urethane primer.After sanding,this thing was looking pretty straight so I decided to make it really straight,more Summit primer and a lot more sanding. Shot 3 coats of Summit single stage urethane.Was going to stop there but ended up sanding and polishing the whole car.It ended up being a knockout if I do say so myself. Did another car for a friend with the same results.
I'm not necessarily recommending Summit but just relating my experience. One thing...If you decide on single stage and plan on sanding and polishing,stay with straight color,no metallic or metal flake. You can sneak by with around $500 which,and Lou would agree,is a small fraction of the cost of the good stuff.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:33 am

I guess the other oft asked question; Bondo over, under or both with epoxy primer?
Sorry didn't see the question,,,

My opinion is both........Take the car to metal,, do any metal work you feel needs done, spray 2 coats of epoxy, do your bondo work, spray epoxy over the bondo and proceed to your primer/surfacer.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 am

I'm not necessarily recommending Summit but just relating my experience. One thing...If you decide on single stage and plan on sanding and polishing,stay with straight color,no metallic or metal flake. You can sneak by with around $500 which,and Lou would agree,is a small fraction of the cost of the good stuff.
Definitely agree you don't need high end paint to have a great paint job. Had a friend who painted his falcon with rustolem and a roller, let it sit over winter then sanded and buffed it. Turned out really nice, would have been hard to believe if I hadn't seen him paint it.
IMHO Sanding and buffing after paint is the biggest improvement in a paint job. And as vice grip said if you think you may do that and are going with single stage paint stick with a solid color.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks for the advice guys, I may wait on the final paint job anyway and get the car drivable and enjoy it a while so I was looking for something in the mean time.

I want to get my bondo work done however so that is why I was asking.

I have a gallon of Van-Sickle Ford 9N Grey enamel (like Rust-oleum) and was going to shoot that on for now until I decide to do a real paint job and have a good place to do it, so that may make a difference in how I precede. I know I would have to completely sand the paint back down in the future but for now I would be painting in the open shed (with a tent at the most) so it is not going to be paint shop quality even if I use good paint.

I also know once the car gets drivable I will be hard pressed to go back in for a while and tie it up doing a "proper" paint job and I think the enamel would work ok, my understanding is it eventually fades and at that point I could look in to a better repaint.

I hope everyone can understand where I am coming from on that. I want the body work all done so phase 2 (when it happens) will just be devoted to paint.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, I may wait on the final paint job anyway and get the car drivable and enjoy it a while so I was looking for something in the mean time.

I want to get my bondo work done however so that is why I was asking.

I have a gallon of Van-Sickle Ford 9N Grey enamel (like Rust-oleum) and was going to shoot that on for now until I decide to do a real paint job and have a good place to do it, so that may make a difference in how I precede. I know I would have to completely sand the paint back down in the future but for now I would be painting in the open shed (with a tent at the most) so it is not going to be paint shop quality even if I use good paint.

I also know once the car gets drivable I will be hard pressed to go back in for a while and tie it up doing a "proper" paint job and I think the enamel would work ok, my understanding is it eventually fades and at that point I could look in to a better repaint.

I hope everyone can understand where I am coming from on that. I want the body work all done so phase 2 (when it happens) will just be devoted to paint.

See Ya,
Mike
If all your worried about for now is the bodywork do the epoxy/bondo/epoxy. Then just spray the car with the gray. And as weird as this sounds I would wait for a nice day and spray the car outside in the yard, if you have a back/side yard. Spraying enamel in your shed will make everything in your shed sticky for some time. And unless your shed is clean you will have a lot of dirt in the paint. I have sprayed a few cars over the years outside and if you pick a clear day with little/no wind you would be surprised how nice/clean the paint comes out. Great light, no need for exhaust fan, and overspray goes away next time you cut the grass!

Also if the paint you have is like a farm implement paint I would bet they sell hardener for it which would add gloss and paint would stay glossy a lot longer.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:16 pm
If all your worried about for now is the bodywork do the epoxy/bondo/epoxy. Then just spray the car with the gray. And as weird as this sounds I would wait for a nice day and spray the car outside in the yard, if you have a back/side yard. Spraying enamel in your shed will make everything in your shed sticky for some time. And unless your shed is clean you will have a lot of dirt in the paint. I have sprayed a few cars over the years outside and if you pick a clear day with little/no wind you would be surprised how nice/clean the paint comes out. Great light, no need for exhaust fan, and overspray goes away next time you cut the grass!

Also if the paint you have is like a farm implement paint I would bet they sell hardener for it which would add gloss and paint would stay glossy a lot longer.
Thanks for advice Lou.

I was thinking of buying one of those cheap tents off eBay for less than $100 to use as a paint booth.

I have 80 acres I think I can find a place to paint outside :P and it is implement paint and I have the harder for it but may need to get another bottle because I have had it for awhile and it has been opened, I squeezed all the air out before I closed it but will need to check it before I start, of course I am still a bit away from needing to do that :roll: I shouldn't say that it will be here sooner than I think.

Thanks again, the advice here is invaluable to me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread