Generator to Alternator conversion

The Round Body, Finned Comets
shaemiller

Generator to Alternator conversion

Post by shaemiller »

Hi guys,
I have a 1963 comet with a 2.8L straight 6. When I picked her up someone had pulled the generator and scabbed a boat alternator into it that was not charging at all. I purchased a later model style alternator along with the appropriate external voltage regulator and pig tail to update it. I followed a wiring diagram I found on the internet that seemed pretty straight forward and am having no luck.
I am scratching my head at this point. when the car is running the alternator is making a sort of "whisp" or "humming" noise and it is actually causing a slight draw or load on the system. If I disconnect the regulator the humming quits and the draw goes away. I also read on a topic similar to this one that the indicator light needs to be working for the charging system to work correctly, which it IS working but I noticed it is not illuminated when the car is running even though it is reading below 12 volts and not charging.
Any help or insight would be amazing, I am wondering if I maybe got a defective part or something and am just chasing my tail. I posted a link in the bottom of the wiring diagram I used. thanks!

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attach ... jpg.44489/

tomb22

Re: Generator to Alternator conversion

Post by tomb22 »

Are you using the old regulator to splice wires and if you are did you remove the actual guts of that regulator?
tom
tomb's 65

shaemiller

Post by shaemiller »

No I’m using a new regulator that matches the alternator, which is a 4 post alternator with no internal regulator. I also got the pigtail connector that matches the new regulator and rebuilt the harness all the way to the alternator so there shouldn’t be any breaks or resistance.
Thanks!

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

I am in the process of converting to a new Alternator and using Parkersmood2 wiring sketch and wanted to share what I found. I purchased a CarQuest re-manufactured alternator 7127-3A that is internally regulated for $56 at Advance Auto. If your current setup doesn't work, you might want to look at this conversion. You basically gut the voltage regulator and leave the it in place to serve as a junction box. I need a spacer and drilled out the non-threaded mounting point on the alternator for a larger bolt.
Comet Alternator.jpg
Comet Alternator.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
Alternator wiring.jpg
Alternator wiring.jpg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Just a small side story.
In 1975 I was installing the Cleveland in the Comet and wanted to convert to alternator but I had no clue.
In one of the car mags a guy in Oklahoma City had an article about
wiring, don't remember the exact subject but he listed his mailing address (snail mail :roll: ) for questions.
I sent my question along with a $5 bill.
He sent back a diagram much like the one above which is what reminded me of it.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

shaemiller

Post by shaemiller »

Thanks for the reply’s guys! I’m almost ready to go to a one wire but I hate to give up and find it was something small I was over looking. I just had the alternator tested to make sure I didn’t get a bad one and it tested fine. If someone could tell me what numbers I should be reading at each post on the alternator that would be a huge help in testing. Something feels backwards since the alternator makes a funny noise and pulls a draw, but I sure can’t find it.

shaemiller

Post by shaemiller »

Problem solved!!!
thanks for the information guys, I ended up solving my problem. I was chasing my tail over a poor ground, cleaned up the regulator mounting location and mounted with both bolts (existing and one new) and bingo. Thanks again