1962 Comet Build Thread

The Round Body, Finned Comets
SASSY

Re: 1962 Comet Build Thread

Post by SASSY »

"The previous owner used some homemade shackles in the rear and now I think I know why. The mustang leaf springs must be a little longer than stock Comet springs. I put the leaf spring back on using one of the standard shackles and with just a little load from a jack the back the leaf spring hits the body of the car. Geez. So now I have to decide how to fix it. Long shackles versus new springs versus 4 link..... "

Ya,you have to watch out for guys like me,,, :mrgreen:
I'm sure it won't stall you for long!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

darryl27529 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:31 pm
The mustang leaf springs must be a little longer than stock Comet springs. I put the leaf spring back on using one of the standard shackles and with just a little load from a jack the back the leaf spring hits the body of the car. Geez. So now I have to decide how to fix it.
When you say hits the body of the car,,, i dont follow?
Johno

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

See images. The previous owner used the Mustang springs and drilled new holes in the frame rails and used a homemade set of shackles. The problem is the wear surface was metal on metal. It might work for while but not long. I put a stock shackle in the OEM location and when the spring gets loaded it hits the frame rail.

I think I have come to the conclusion that its time to purchase a new set of leaf springs. The car has always set a little uneven and maybe this will fix it. See images below.

The stock mounting location and the new holes where the shackles were bolted in place.
Rear shackle location.jpg
Rear shackle location.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Homemade shackles.jpg
Homemade shackles.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
ImageImage

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

So the new hole is 6 1/2'' away from the old one? (the smaller hole cant be for shackles,too small & no sleeve)
Johno

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

The small hole in the image was the new hole that was drilled. The homemade shackles were bolted at that spot. Its about 2 inches from the stock location. I just ordered some new springs from Eaton. The nice part is that I spoke with them and they are making the U bolts to fit the Ford 8.8 rather than a stock Comet axle. It should be here in about 3 weeks. Stay safe.
ImageImage

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

oh k gotcha. yea that would have twisted & wallered out the frame with no sleeve in there especially with no rubber bushing. good thing you noticed & fixing it!
Johno

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Just got the leaf springs in today. Comparing the new ones to an old one the new ones are 7.5 inches shorter but also a greater arch. I think they will work but I do have a question. The front mounting point has a large hole and then a large washer thing that presses against it. Does that seem correct? It looks like it came from the factory that way rather than having a rigid mount on both sides. See images. Let me know if this is typical. Its a little different than the Jeeps that I have done.
Leaf Spring 4.jpg
Leaf Spring 4.jpg (56 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Leaf Spring 3.jpg
Leaf Spring 3.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Leaf Spring 2.jpg
Leaf Spring 2.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Leaf Spring 1.jpg
Leaf Spring 1.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looks stock to me but its been a while since mine was stock
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Thanks Fred. I think its stock. I expected it to be 2 rigid surfaces and it looks like the spring can move around a little at this spot maybe for turning corners.
ImageImage

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think the spring gets a lot of its strength where it goes through the frame, the other part is sort of a gusset/outrigger. I think it needs to flex some as the suspension moves.

I am like Fred and I am not stock anymore but I am using that same connecting point for my triangulated four-link lower bar, just have an end joint there instead of a spring eye bushing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That must be an early thing,65's dont have that big washer. I wouldn't want any movement there on mine.with fat tires I want no movement if possible,to keep from tires rubbing in tight quarters.

Measure on the bottoms of the leaf springs eye to eye & see if they are the same.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

In this factory drawing they appear to be there.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred did yours have them? I bet yours look like mine. If all the stats were alike they probably used an old diagram.

here is a pic of my parts car frames that I put on my car,you can tell it always had a smaller washer & nut .
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Your right! I just looked at the 64 drawing looks the same. So they used the earlier chassis drawing and it looks to have a large washer under the nut. I think its a reinforcement , probably spot welded on to stop any movement.
Not sure about mine,, its been too long but it was probably same as yours.
Fred

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

Thanks for the help guys. It looks just like the drawing so that confirms its factory. A little bummed. I talked to the shop working on the Ford 8.8 and its gonna be another 2-3 weeks. Just gonna try to finish what I can for the next couple weeks. Any opinions on Mufflers? I am thinking Flowmaster 40's cause that seems to be middle ground between comfort and noise. Any input appreciated.
ImageImage