‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Beautiful car and excellent craftsmanship! Certainly one to be proud of. 8)

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice Jim. Looks clean. Like the color with the red interior.
tom
tomb's 65

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Here is a brief update on the Cyclone. This past week we adjusted the valve lash and started the engine. I did some preliminary adjustments to the carb’s and set the timing. I then drove the car to the far end of the road and back, (about 3/4 mile) all systems seems to work fine.
(Suspension, transmission, rear end, brakes, etc.)
Yesterday I installed the front fenders, bumper and headlight trim, it took a little time to align everything but now it looks complete except for the hood. I am leaving the hood off the car until after we run the car on the dynamometer, it will not be a power pull but a simulated drive test so the engine can be tuned correctly. ( it will be easier to work on he engine with the hood off the car)
My interior guy will be here tomorrow to start fitting the carpeting and install the rear panels. It is going to be a hot weekend here with temps in the 90’s so it does not bother be if he takes a week or so to do the carpet. My plan is to put some miles on the car and sort out any issues that might surface. I will post again when the car is complete and on the road.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Looks really good Jim, I like the color a lot it is not one you see every day on a Comet (well it is something besides red :roll: :P )

Can you get the wing windows open with the mirror placement? I will eventually get to that point, currently the one mirror I had was mounted halfway back the door and I always hated the placement.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm
Looks really good Jim, I like the color a lot it is not one you see every day on a Comet (well it is something besides red :roll: :P )

Can you get the wing windows open with the mirror placement? I will eventually get to that point, currently the one mirror I had was mounted halfway back the door and I always hated the placement.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike,
I thought long and hard about the color for the car, it has always been red just like all the others. I finally decided to change the color and found this silver, I have zero regrets about my decision. The interior color compliments the silver perfectly, it is blood red.
As for the mirrors, the left mirror is a factory remote that may have been dealer installed by the looks of the holes that were in the door. I decided I wanted a matching R.H. mirror so I bought a reproduction. When I mocked up the R.H. Side I realized that I could not see anything if it was in the same location as the L.H. mirror. I then relocated the L.H. mirror so that I could see well and that it cleared the wing window. The right side is mounted in the same location so they are perfectly symmetrical. I did have to weld up a few holes and metal finish the area where the L.H. mirror was.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I like the square mirrors, I might try and find a pair (non-remote) I have one round mirror and I probably could never find one to match that was old and scratched up :roll: so I would have to buy two so I may as well look for rectangular ones.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It’s getting closer to completion everyday. Last week my interior guy was here two days, we installed the panels in the rear seat area, made templates for the carpeting, and installed the padding for the carpet. He took the roll of carpet back to his shop to cut out the sections that fit the templates and will be back this week to fit them. After he is satisfied he will take everything back to his shop and sew it together. I want the carpet that covers the shifter panel to be removable and separate from the main carpet so he will have to get creative making that piece. That piece of carpet will snap in using some snaps that I had painted to match the interior color, it will look very finished yet functional.
Yesterday and today I made some Center caps to fit my front wheels. I “borrowed” some pewter cups from my wife’s cabinet, they fit the wheel center hole almost perfectly. I expanded them slightly using the three jaw chuck on my lathe, then polished them by spinning them on the lathe. I had some coins that were made in 1964 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Mercury, (1939-1964) that my father gave me years ago, he had them from when he was a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the 50’s and ‘60’s. I attached a coin to each center cap and installed them in the wheels. I think they finish off the wheel perfectly.
Hopefully we will have the interior finished soon.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Yesterday and today I made some Center caps to fit my front wheels. I “borrowed” some pewter cups from my wife’s cabinet, they fit the wheel center hole almost perfectly. I expanded them slightly using the three jaw chuck on my lathe, then polished them by spinning them on the lathe. I had some coins that were made in 1964 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Mercury, (1939-1964) that my father gave me years ago, he had them from when he was a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the 50’s and ‘60’s. I attached a coin to each center cap and installed them in the wheels. I think they finish off the wheel perfectly.
Super cool, hopefully, your wife won't want her cups back too soon. :roll:

How did you attach the coins?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Super cool, hopefully, your wife won't want her cups back too soon. :roll:

How did you attach the coins?

Shhh.... don’t let her hear about the missing cups, maybe she won’t miss them!
I used a two part epoxy to attach the coins, I sure some memorabilia collector will be upset with my use of them.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Super craftsmanship, Jim! Hope your wife appreciates it. :evil:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That Nifty as it can be right there. How long have you been eyeballing those cups? :lol: Fred made part of his column from a cocktail shaker I think was it Fred? Mike ,he's got all kinds of formerlysomethingelses on his car I bet or will have ,so do I. I love that sort of creativity. especially when it comes out looking natural.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Well it’s almost finished. The interior is finished except for the trunk, every thing on the body is installed. I have driven it about 10 miles and all systems work well, I will be having the car tuned on a dynamometer for fine adjustments. (hopefully this week) tomorrow I am planning to drive it to a local show on the streets. I will be having the front end adjustment checked after I put a few more miles on it, I still may drop the ride height slightly.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That is so awesome Jim! You are driving it after how many years now?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:06 pm
That is so awesome Jim! You are driving it after how many years now?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike,
It’s been off the road since I took it apart in 1980. I have built a number of other cars since but I knew that someday I would build and drive the Comet again. That day has finally arrived.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She is one beautiful car, Jim! Knock 'em dead at the show tomorrow! 8)

Jim