Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by SASSY »

HOW COME YOU DON'T HAVE A REALITY SHOW ON DISCOVERY OR SOMEWHERE??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
FRED
COVERALLS AND SHED CUSTOMS
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 pm
I cleaned it up and tried to determine what wire connection went where, then I decided to go ahead and clean up the switch knob except I can't find it, in fact, I spent the rest of the day looking for it and along the way started looking for the turn signal lever, can't find it either but I just saw it not too long ago, I think they are together just don't where
FOUND THEM! And yes they were together, I had forgotten when I put the windows out of the car in the cab of the red truck I put a box of interior parts that contained all the missing stuff :roll:

I got the temp carb bolted down on the intake today, I am not sure I mentioned that the carb would not fit on the adapter I bought, I think it is a truck carb and the bolt holes were just a bit too far apart for the studs to go up through but the throttle plate was the right size so I used a rotary rasp and slightly elongated the holes in the carb base.

I slowed myself down a bit on the first start because I decided I wanted the valve spring retainers that matched my springs so I went ahead and ordered them, I figured if I have done this much work on that engine it should be completely correct when I am done.

In the meantime, I re-installed the turn signal switch (with my new found parts) got the signal flasher installed and did some continuity tests on the signal wires.

I should have the stuff like the fuel filler neck hose and the stuff to fix my lower radiator hose right this week, I can't think of much else I need to get besides fuel line to go from the regulator to the carburetor, I need to dig around and find the accelerator cable mount that works with the carb as well, I am not going to look for it too hard because I will rig something up if I need to just to run the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Still waiting on parts so I have been messing with wiring stuff up, I ran the wires to the rear of the car, I just bought a spool of bonded 4 wire trailer wire and ran back there.

Wired up the flasher circuit and the brake light switch (I still need to install the switch) hooked both of them up in the fuse box. Of course, I did a few tests the flasher for LEDs is kinda funky it keeps clicking (a couple of times) after the blinkers have gone off.

The sequenced taillights are cool once I get all the stuff to make them work properly, I already have LED bulbs and I just laid them on top of the rear quarter panel and twisted/taped wires on them, I am going to buy the $50 kit from Speedway Motors that is supposed to make the brake lights work as well.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Messed with wiring again today but the valve spring retainers came in late today so I will probably be jumping back over on the engine again for a bit and get the valve springs and retainers installed and then bolt the head down for good (sorta, it will have to come back off for the intake mods)

As of today, I have all the wiring done to run the engine plus most of the wires run for lights and horns, I may not have any windows but I will be able to drive around at night and honk the horns :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

One more day of wiring, I did not want to leave half done stuff and then try and figure out where I was when I get back to it.

Actually fairly productive I got the new headlight switch in, of course, it required a little modification work to get it to fit like everything I do. :roll:

While the switch is slightly larger that is not the issue, it fits in there fine but the headlight switch knob will not go in all the way, it just clicks once and then it is against the bezel. The reason is, if you look at the middle picture below the distance from the face of the switch to the detents is further.

The way to fix it is to scoot the switch forward around a 1/2" (I did not measure how much I moved it) the biggest challenge is modifying the bolt-on mount under the dash, I cut the rear part that the switch rests against off and moved it forward and welded it back in place, then I cut the bezel tube shorter and it all fit fine and works properly.

Headlights work if I jumper the terminals on the dimmer switch plug (new switch should be here Monday), there are no taillights or parking lights but the wires are run and they light the test light, the blinkers blink, well the test light blinks, horn relay is operational (missing one piece to finish horn).

Tested everything and it all looks good to go, next week I will get the valve springs switched and the head bolted on, maybe ready to start next week.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:09 pm
Here is the hose in hose, there is a small piece of 1.75" exhaust pipe inside the inner hose.

I think if I got a 90-degree hose elbow that matches the upper hose I could just put a short piece of stainless pipe between them, I think this will work for now.
Because I can't leave well enough alone, I found the hose I needed to attach to the bottom of the stock 250 lower radiator hose.

Summit had these cool heat shrink hose clamps so I bought a couple of different sizes because I was not sure which would fit, I bought a billet 1.5" hose barb splice and after trimming the hose down to fit I pushed the hose barb between the two halves, aligned everything and heat shrunk the clamp tight.

I guess that was the closest I could do to get a factory looking hose that does not exist :P Looks a bit more professional than the hose-in-hose I did the first time :roll:

I also got a battery tender charger and hooked up to the battery, with all the testing I have been doing it took about 10 minutes to charge it back up, I decided to go ahead and fully test the compressor to see if it would pump up to 150# and turn off, it took it a while but it did it, did not use enough air to take it back down to 140# to see if it would come back on, I left the charger on it and it was still charging when I came in the house, probably don't want to run the compressor on battery power alone too often, kinda wonder if I should wire it into ignition hot instead of the accessory circuit so it will only run when the car is running? The bags really lift fast BTW with 150# as apposed to 75# I have been using, I was nervous it might blow some lines at twice the pressure but so far so good.

Anyway, just a few little quick things today.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Where is my list? I guess I haven't made one but if I did it would have a lot of check marks on it :!:

Fuel system done except regulator to carb line.

Cooling system except for a little hose to jump between the heater in and out ports on the block.

Ignition system done.

Engine run wiring done plus a little more.

Looking back at what is done I think the list is longer than what needs to be done. This week the valve springs and retainers will be swapped and the head bolted down, I should then be ready to pre-lube and fill the radiator with water, I got the fuel filler neck attached to the tank today so in theory, I could add some gas to the tank, not sure I shouldn't add 5 gallons and run the pump so I can check for leaks (I would have to plug the outlet) I could also try and set the regulator pressure.

Going to try and set my goal this week to getting the head finalized, exhaust hooked up temporary, fuel system primed, engine pre-lubed with break-in oil, radiator filled with water (after the before mentioned heater hoses are connected).

I will need to make a shortlist of parts to pick up in town like the carb fuel line fitting etc.

I guess any last suggestions before I try and fire this thing up (hopefully next week)?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looking forward to a video!!
Your persistence is about to be rewarded!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:23 am
Looking forward to a video!!
Your persistence is about to be rewarded!!
Fred
I hope!

The new valve springs are installed, the new retainers I waited a week for, Not, the hole in the center is too large, I put the first one on and the spring was way higher than all the rest, I thought this isn't right, then noticed the spring was way out from the end of the valve :roll:

New retainer on the left old on the right, I just went ahead and installed the old ones back on there, hopefully I can return the new ones for at least a partial refund :(

Head is now installed and torqued down, the picture below is the head gasket in place, then the head and rockers bolted in place and finally the valve cover and carb bolted down.

Next, I will get the header bolted on and the temporary connector pipes to the exhaust pipes.

I need to look for the accelerator cable bracket and hook up the fuel line.

Getting close now!

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

5ohbrad

Post by 5ohbrad »

I’m loving your build Mike! I just purchased a 1964 202 2 door sedan for my daughter and your progress is an inspiration and a valuable resource for us. Thank you for documenting all of your progress as you go, this is far more entertaining to me than anything on TV!

Brad

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

5ohbrad wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:30 pm
I’m loving your build Mike! I just purchased a 1964 202 2 door sedan for my daughter and your progress is an inspiration and a valuable resource for us. Thank you for documenting all of your progress as you go, this is far more entertaining to me than anything on TV!

Brad
Thanks Brad I always hope someone is getting something useful out of my posts :? Your daughter sounds like a lucky girl :P

Things are coming together, at times I never thought I would see the day I was this close to starting this thing up.

Found the original cable bracket and got it installed, it is not an exact fit but for my purposes it is close enough, it was originally on the 200 motor and there must be some difference between it and the 250 in that spot because it was a stretch to get it to reach, I couldn't get one of the bolts in on the block and the angle of the cable to attach to the carb is a bit off, but it pulls the linkage with the pedal, just may not fully release.

I filled it with oil, it took 8 quarts, that is probably right with how big I made the oil pan and the filter is supposed to take a quart and there is some trapped in the front sump, probably about a quart. The dipstick shows it is just in the safe zone but thought I would wait until the engine is run to recheck it and add more, I spun the oil pump and hopefully got the engine lubed up, I found out if you spin the pump rod too fast it will spew oil out the distributor hole, makes it hard to see if there are leaks. I cleaned up the spilled oil but I am still getting a little drip off the steering rack bellows :roll:

The header is installed, I just need to hook up the temporary pipes to the exhaust.

The cooling system is ready to fill but I parked my pickup on the garden hose and did not have my key on me to move it so I will do that tomorrow :roll:

More to come.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cooling system filled and no leaks so far, not sure when it gets some pressure but will wait and see, I always like to make it hard checking for leaks by spilling whatever I am filling with all over the place :roll:

You might notice the carb is all hooked up as well, I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank and ran the fuel pump filling the system by pumping into another gas can, then I hooked up the carb and ran the pump, I adjusted the regulator the best I could but I really had to go deep with the adjuster and now there is none sticking out to put the locking nut back on, not sure if I couldn't take the adjuster out and replace it with a longer one.

Pumped the accelerator lever and the carb squirted gas into the throat so it must be full as well and functional 8)

At least two things to do before I try to start it; 1) get some sort of connection to the exhaust system, it isn't going to be pretty and will probably leak like a sieve but I wanted to try to get something so the exhaust wasn't dumping out on the starter. 2) I need to clean up the car, if it has to be in a movie it needs to look the best it can :P

Going to jack up the back of the car and sit it on some stands so I can test the clutch, trans, and rear while I am doing everything else.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hurry up, Mike! The suspense is killing me! :shock:

Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Mike, I think we all are on the edge of our seats to see that motor fire off and purr like a kitten.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm
Hurry up, Mike! The suspense is killing me! :shock:

Jim
Go to commercial,,,
X2!!!
Lol